Welcome to The Old Fort
Seaside Pub & Restaurant
The Old Fort is a multi-award winning seaside pub & restaurant in the heart of Seaview, Isle of Wight. Located right on the water’s edge on the Esplanade, our outdoor beachfront patio offers sweeping panoramic views of the Solent.
Under new management, The Old Fort has had an extensive re-design to include an improved downstairs bar and restaurant layout, an all new open-plan bar and restaurant space upstairs as well as improving our kitchen and cellar spaces to better suit the ‘new normal’ and to cope with the increase in demand.
The island has so much to offer along its shores, coastal waters and woodlands. With an abundance of foraging, fishing and farming, the Isle of Wight is renowned for some of Britain’s best produce. With this in mind, we aim to offer a mix of delicious pub classics through to mouth watering daily specials, and are always looking to provide fresh, local and seasonal produce, service with a smile, all in a relaxed and cosy environment (sample menu).
We have also taken some time to revamp our drinks selection with some fabulous award-winning local ales, dozens of rather delicious new wines added to our list with a vast selection available by the glass as well a fantastic gin collection including the fabulous Isle of Wight Distillery’s “Mermaid Gin”.
BEST DESTINATION PUB 2021
“The ethos of Muddy Stilettos is all about celebrating and supporting the most unique, interesting, brilliant local businesses, and we hope that your award will give your business a real boost. The public response this year has been incredible, with over 75,000 businesses being nominated by over 750,000 people around the country voting across 27 categories in 25 counties across the Muddy Stilettos sites.”
TRAVELLERS CHOICE AWARD 2021
“You’re in the top 10% of restaurants worldwide! The Travellers’ Choice Award celebrates restaurants that consistently deliver fantastic experiences to travellers around the globe. Winners like you earned positive traveller reviews and ratings over the past year. In this particularly challenging year, you stood out by providing great service and experiences to your guests. Thank you, and congratulations again on your well-deserved win.”
A message from the owners
Justin & Will
A year ago Justin & Will took over their local pub & couldn’t be happier with the overwhelming support and response to what we have been able to achieve. It’s been a strange & unusual year, but this has given us some time to put our stamp on it and we hope that you approve of our progress so far
As we move into uncharted waters we feel we can’t simply ignore that we’re still living in a pandemic. Many people are still nervous so we are moving forwards but with some trepidation.
First & foremost please be patient and kind to our team. It hasn’t been and isn’t the easiest time in hospitality at the moment, so please bear with us and we will do everything we can to ensure you have an enjoyable time with us,
How it all works
The 'new' normal
As we’re all in this together and entering into a period of unknown, we still feel a duty to act responsibly & make sure everyone is comfortable. We ask you to continue to be respectful of others space and the way in which we wish to continue to run the pub for the safety of all. If you have any questions please drop us a message, call or ask to speak with one of us and we will happily discuss our plans with you.
If you haven’t seen it in person, here are some pictures of what we have added above the pub – our new restaurant and bar space.
We are so grateful to you all for your continued support throughout these challenging times. We honestly couldn’t have got through this past year without all the love and support from you all.
We’re all keen to get back to normal but feel some things may help get us there quicker so we’ve decided to continue with some precautionary measures:
– table service inside: please wait to be seated & place orders with the waitstaff. Whilst we endeavour to keep a few tables available for walk-ins, bookings are strongly advised at all times;
– space: we will continue with social distancing between tables until safe to do otherwise. Pease respect peoples space;
– outside tables: operate on a first come first served basis, we do not reserve these and at busy times or periods of bad weather we may choose not to serve to these; please use the bins provided & order at “The Hatch” to the left of the front door;
– to order food: you need to be sat at an inside or outside table, we will not be offering take away food until further notice, apologies for any inconvenience caused. Agai, if you wish to dine with us inside, we strongly advise booking in advance to avoid disappointment;
– to order drinks: we kindly ask that you either wait to be seated at an empty table or place your order at “The Hatch“. We kindly ask that you don’t approach the bars;
– face coverings: are no longer required but you’re welcome to wear one if you wish, in fact, you can now buy branded face masks from us. Half the team are still opting to wear one so if you’d rather be served by a mask wearing member of staff please say & we’ll make sure this happens. Please respect the choices of those still wishing to wear a mask;
– our space: we ask that you don’t move the furniture or join tables, please ask a member of the team & we would be more than happy to assist;
– dogs: we always welcome well behaved dogs outside on our patio and downstairs in the pub. We ask that you keep your furry friends at home if joining us in the new upstairs restaurant and bar space so that those with allergies etc can also enjoy their time here.